The Power of Television Advertising
Television advertising is without question the most influential and compelling form of commercial communication available to advertisers on both a national and regional basis.
The superiority and sheer power of TV advertising is a result of a wide range of characteristics which are unique to the medium. Its superiority traces to both the ability of TV to deliver audience compared to other media, as well as the great communication powers (the creative expression or compelling idea) of television.
When you examine television and look closely at it in media comparison terms, it's clearly the medium of choice in many, if not most marketing and advertising situations.
Television enjoys a long and proven history in terms of message delivery and communication efficacy. It's proven time and time again that TV can be relied upon to achieve an advertisers communication objective and contribute to the achievement of associated business, marketing and sales goals. Advertisers choose TV as their medium of choice for a host of compelling communication reasons. Unlike other mediums in New Zealand, television possesses a multitude of strengths and benefits that set it apart as the most persuasive communication vehicle available.
Why Advertisers Choose Television as their Medium of Choice
Television reaches virtually every home in New Zealand and offers the greatest range of advertising qualities. It is set apart from competing media by its ability to offer the highest quality sight, sound and motion to generate an emotional response. More specifically, television is chosen by advertisers because of the following:
The power of television advertising can be used creatively by advertisers to differentiate themselves from the competition and develop a unique persona that implies credibility, quality and service. By using the qualities of television (sight, sound and motion), advertisers can generate trust, emotion and excitement that cannot be created as well through any other medium. This can help to create a long lasting and memorable brand and corporate image.
New Zealanders enjoy television. The average Kiwi adult spends almost 3 hours per day, or around 20 hours a week watching television (Source: AGB Nielsen Media Research/Dataline, 2007).
Some advertisers believe that TV commercial production costs prohibit their use of the medium. While commercials can be expensive, smaller advertisers with limited budgets can also undertake successful productions. A big idea, wit, focus and clarity of message can make the advertiser a winner in consumers' minds despite a very small production budget.
The ability to show products in action can easily introduce new products to consumers.
Person to Person Communication
Ideal person-to-person communication is achieved through a combination of both the spoken word and unspoken elements such as body language and gestures. With both visual and sound capabilities, television comes closer than any other medium to offering the ideal person-to-person communication.
People learn through their senses. By stimulating more senses, the message is more likely to be noticed and learned. Television as a medium appeals to the sight and sound senses. The combined power of sight, sound, motion and emotion creates a synergistic effect that is more effective than when individual senses are stimulated.
Key Strengths of Television Advertising in New Zealand
- Television has the highest daily and weekly reach of any medium in New Zealand.
- Television can deliver narrow target audiences through placement of commercials in selected programmes.
- Television offers a variety of placement strategies to build reach and frequency for brands and services.
- Television is the main source for news, sports, entertainment and general knowledge.
- Television is well-suited to marketing products and services with broad appeal.
- Television is immediate and timely.
- There are a variety of creative executions available using television.
- Television is cost efficient for most target groups.
- Television can be purchased nationally, regionally and locally.
- Television has an aura of importance. It is a prestigious medium, enhancing the advertisers' image by its use.
- Television makes a stronger appeal to more of the consumers' senses than any other medium.
- With television, a powerful, emotional impact can be created.
- Television can create high impact with viewers by offering dynamic and visual messages. With more consumers purchasing larger and better TV sets, the impact is even greater than in the past.
- Moods and images can be created for brands.
- Television has the ability to reach large audiences quickly. This is particularly important for new product or service launches.
- Television is proving to be an effective Direct Response tool for many products and services.
Adapted from material by Television Bureau of Canada